ADVANCED CONTROL SYSTEMS JNTU previous years question papers
ADVANCED CONTROL SYSTEMS
(Electrical & Electronic Engineering)
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. Suppose if the system equations are known in Jordan form. How do you test the properties of controllability? Explain using a state model. 
2. State, prove and explain Lyapunovs stability theorm. Also explain what are the suficient conditions of stability. 
3. (a) Explain the dierent methods used to find the state feedback gain matrix and compare them?
(b) Consider a linear system described by the transfer function Y (s)
u(s) = 10s(s+2)(s+1)
Design a feed back controller with a state feedback so that the eigen values of the closed loop system are at -2,-1 ± j1. [6+10]
4. (a) Explain Minimum - Time problem?
(b) Explain State Regulator problem in brief? [8+8]
5. Illustrate with an example the problem with terminal time t1 fixed and x (t1) free.
6. (a) State and prove optimal control problem based on dynamic programming in discrete time system
(b) Explain the principles of causality and invariant imbedding. 
7. (a) Explain the popular inherent nonlinear elements and their functionalities.
(b) Derive the Describe function for an on-o nonlinearity. [6+10]
8. Draw a phase-plane portrait of the system defined by 
? x1 = x1 + x2
? x2 = 2x1 + x2